Sunday, November 27, 2011

Giving Thanks for Terrific French Reds

Potluck Thanksgiving meals are always a treat for me, with everyone bringing something unique to the holiday table. As host this year I was in charge of the turkey, which I basted in appled juice and stuffed with apples, cranberries, and fresh rosemary.
I paired our appetizers of cranberry goat cheese and smoked chedder with a '10 Le Bout du Monde, an earthy red with flavors of prune and tobacco. Deep purple in color, this wine has concentrated fruit, spice, and a hint of white pepper that melded well with the cheeses.

For our main meal, I opened an '08 Chateau Simian, an addictive Chateauneuf Du Pape full of dark cherries and reminiscent of an adult Jolly Rancher, and a '10 Domaine Coston, an inky Grenache-based blend from the Langeudoc with faint aromas of pine that instantly reminded me of childhood trips to the Christmas tree farm.
Both wines were rich, full bodied, and held up well against the heft of the succulent turkey, apple stuffing, cranberry sauce, zucchini casserole, and decadent truffle mashed potatoes.
 Just add a terrific group of food and wine loving friends to the mix, and give thanks!

Follow me on Twitter @vinochick75.

1 comment:

  1. The meal was divine, the wine complimentary, and the company spectacular! Thank you for such an incredible dining experience!

    ReplyDelete