Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dessert for Dinner

There's nothing quite like the aroma of sliced bananas simmering in white truffle oil and chocolate wine...what did I just say? Yep, a late night hankering for a quick bite somehow evolved into the most off-the-wall dish I have ever concocted in the kitchen...
and somewhow the ChocoVine chocolate wine, a blend of Dutch chocolate and red wine from Holland, ended up being the least random ingredient of all.
 Added to this eclectic dish were chocolate bon bons...yep, I said bon bons...directly from the freezer to the frying pan...then enter the chili powder, sea salt, cracked black pepper and cayenne folded into low carb pasta.
The trick was in the pairing, which was an '06 Castillo Rioja, a Spanish Crianza (for reds, aged two years with at least six months in oak). This wine was sultry and inviting, and I tasted sour cherries and pepper, which melded well with the chili powder in the dish and was a really nice counterbalance to the rich sweetness of the chocolate and banana.
To be honest, this was one of the best things I have ever tasted, and has inspired me to ponder a possible culinary skill enhancement via cooking classes. Now what to pair with Caramel Apple Chicken...
Follow me on Twitter @vinochick75.

No comments:

Post a Comment