Monday, September 27, 2010

Epicuro and Champagne Uncorked On An Epic Night in the History of Phillies Baseball

It is no secret I bleed red...well red and white, that is. And I'm not talking the vino variety, although there has been some speculation that if a needle were to prick my skin, a lightly-oaked Syrah may spill forth. No, I am a die-hard Philadelphia Phillies fan, and our ace Roy Halladay was on the mound, the National League East Championship at stake. 
Naturally, I needed a good wine to accompany me as I watched this epic night in the history of the Fightin' Phils unfold. I chose a Salice Salentino from Epicuro, a terrific value red from Trader Joe's, and a wonderful companion during this two-hit shutout, title-winning performance.
This wine is full of big juicy fruit and earth, not unlike my salt-of-the-earth Phillies. It also has attitude and character, just like outfielder Jayson Werth, who racked up four RBI's on this historic night.
I whipped up some portobello mushroom ravioli topped with shaved black truffle cheese (my new food obsession) to accompany my bottle and ball game.
The combination of woodsy spores and forest-like berries were a great match for a classic finish, as seen in the video below: 
                 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfvrm5swxG0

Thanks to Jayson and Roy Halladay...who uncorked their own piece of baseball lore tonight...and to my Broad Street boys, I'll be seeing you in October!!
Follow me on Twitter @vinochick75 and at mydesert.com/vinochick.

No comments:

Post a Comment