Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer Sippin' at The River

As someone who has made a habit out of wine tasting, I always take into account the beauty of my surroundings. Tulip Hill's tasting room at The River in Rancho Mirage offers a smattering of Old-World style that adds a welcomed nuance to the experience.
The winery itself is located ninety minutes north of Napa Valley in Lake County, and produces primarily reds and a handful of whites. On this visit, I enjoyed a lemony and bright Pinot Grigio, followed by a series of interesting blends. Most notable was Delirious, a combination of Zinfandel, Sangiovese and Cabernet grapes. This one has exactly the effect that the name implies...the tasting notes never lie...
I prefer bold and fruit-filled reds, so the super-earthy, fresh soil of a 2008 Syrah wasn't exactly my style. I did enjoy the taste of Mirage, an '06 blend of that same grape with Merlot. A Sangiovese and Cabernet combo called Sangiovignon was no less fascinating, and its woodsy cherry-like flavor reminded me of a leisurely stroll through a mountain forest.
Here's tasting room manager Tom Montaney's take on the Cabepulciano, a Tuscan-inspired marriage of Cabernet and Montepulciano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQLejrrvXM
Can't wait to see what Fall brings to this little corner of the wine world...

Tulip Hill Winery at The River
(760) 568-5678
                           http://www.tuliphillwinery.com/                            

Follow me on Twitter @VinoChick75 and at mydesert.com/vinochick.

No comments:

Post a Comment