Friday, July 16, 2010

One Person's Zin is Another Person's Weenie Water

There's something about good wine and friends that goes incredibly well together. Add a great venue into the mix and you've got the makings of a perfect night.
Which is the way it usually turns out at PS Wine & Specialty Foods in downtown Palm Springs. Owners Vern and Paulette Wright are one of the most hospitable couples around, and I look forward to their incredibly affordable ($5 for six pours) Friday night tastings so much that I actually feel like I'm missing out when I can't make it over there.
 
Zin night was a lot of fun, as we devoured some of Vern's homemade chili, Paulette's spicy meatballs and tried some impressive and yummy styles from a handful of California producers.
As aromas of dark fruit, black pepper and exotic spices filling the air, one of my more outspoken friends who doesn't allow herself to get bogged down with the technicalities of wine tasting, took issue with an Old Vine bottling from Lodi that she described as "Tastes like campfire." When I finally stopped laughing I tried it for myself and agreed, but termed it a bit differently: "Its Sleepaway Camp without the curling iron murder," I said. While I may be lauded for my extensive knowledge of C-grade horror flicks, I am certainly not known or cherished for my subtlety...
Then out of nowhere came a cry of "Weenie Water!" I looked over and that same friend was at it again, still analyzing her wine glass. She looked at me almost pleadingly as she explained "This wine reminds me of water that's been used to boil hot dogs." Needless to say, there were some incredulous faces, hearty laughter and a bit of street cred lost that evening. But the way I see it, wine means something different to all of us-what's in the glass is subject to interpretation. As for my friend, she will never live down that hot dog liquid-inspired moniker that we now all shout out at random times for purposes of great hilarity...and I wouldn't want it any other way...

PS Wine & Specialty Foods
188 S. Indian Canyon Drive
(760)322-4411

Follow me on Twitter @VinoChick75.

No comments:

Post a Comment