Thursday, June 10, 2010

New Menu Items Are Bedeviling, Tasty Treats at Fleming's

Deviled eggs..I can't stop thinking about them...and I don't even eat deviled eggs, much less the truffled variety...but my hard and fast rule was overturned during a recent visit to Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar, and I'm still trying to sort it all out after the unbelievable array of food and wine that was set before me.
Pairing princess that I am, I thoroughly enjoyed introducing the deliciously sweet lump crab Louie wraps to a delightfully crisp and acidic 2008 Maso Canali Pinot Grigio. Not to be outdone, the roasted mushroom ravioli was just begging to have a seat next to Kim Crawford's citrusy '08 New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Crawford was quite accomodating, and even made room for those eggs I mentioned. It was love at first bite, as creamy indulgence gazed adoringly at bright minerality.
Tender, center cut filet and New York strip steak were thrilled to meet the restaurant's own Forty-Six Diamonds, an '04 propriety blend of Napa red that is at once big and hearty, yet with fruit subtle enough to gently accentuate the iron-rich flavors exuding from the meat. About midway through the meal, I found myself wiping away happy tears as I watched all of these flavors getting along so well, as if they'd known one another for years.
Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, a volcano of chocolate arrived and smiled at our Tawny Port. I just hope I'm invited to the wedding...and that they serve those deviled eggs... 

Special thanks to John Verhoef and his staff at Fleming's in Rancho Mirage:

To read more about this meal go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment